Skip to main content

How to approach a Laurel.

First off, it should be known, I am not a Laurel. Nor will I be for many years. That being said, I am now a student under a laurel! I am a huge fan of finding mentors, having a good group of mentors supporting you in different aspects of your life what I think is the best way to become generally good. In general, I'm new in the SCA. My first contact was at Portcon 2017, and my first event was GNEW 2017. So I'm going into my second year. I plan on going to Pennsic this year and in the last 6 months, I've gotten really into the SCA. So now that I'm pretty invested, I felt it time to start looking for my mentors. I generally want to find multiple people to befriend and learn from, I agree with the idea that you are the sum of the people you spend the most time with. I've never been an "all my eggs in one basket" kind of fellow. So let us list what kind of endeavors I'll be looking for mentors.

  • Archery
  • Rapier
  • Arts & Science (I still don't know what art or science... I think I want all of them)
  • Thrown Weapons
  • Service (I'm always someone that shows up early and is willing to stay late. If something needs to get done I'll do it. So I guess this is service)
Okay... So that's not a small list. I don't know how to ride a horse, and I don't really want to take a baseball bat to the head... multiple times. However, I happened to meet a good noble who ticked a few of those boxes... Grand Master Bowman (and Sagittarius), an avid swordsman (put a long piece of metal in his hands and he'll make it work), a Laurel, and a Silver Crescent... 4/5 isn't bad... So I chewed on it, and chewed on it, and chewed on it, and chewed on it. Finally, I decided the best thing to do was ask a certain group of Laurels at an event how one would go about becoming an apprentice and Laurel. I got great feedback and decided I was on the right path. After much time and deliberation, I wrote this letter for the Laurel in question and read it at the regular post fencing dinner.


To Master Maxton Gunn
I, Faílbe Mac Neill, do write to you for a simple request with profoundly complex implications.
However, before I bring out this simple question, I would like to refresh three simple moments. Moments that barely peak your interest, but have been fundamental in my experience within the East kingdom. 
Late summer, A.S. LII, My first event in the SCA was the Great Northeast War. I spent an entire weekend watching the range and looking up to the hill, an entire event, in wonder of Haus Wanderstamm. Weeks later I had bought my bow and arrows (which were not period at all), and ended up at your home, Master Max. I was dazzled by your living room and study. Do you remember the first comment you made about me to my fair Noble, Bunny? "We like him! Thank you for bringing him in!" In that moment I was off to the Mars like a falcon. I still think about that moment.
And then,
Huginn & Muninn, A.S. LIII. My love of archery had truely budded and I became an MiT under Lord Magnus Surtsson. Having taken one step closer to being a master Bowman and Marshal. Qualities that I wanted to have. You had set a very high bar, but nothing I wasn't eager to obtain. I saw you, Master Max, I greeted you proudly! "Master Max! Hello!" You looked at me... And nothing. No recollection. No enthusiasm. No pride. Just a polite nod of the head. My heart landed somewhere in my boot. I looked away, my face burning red, once the embarrassment fadded the heat was still there. Faílbe Mac Neill is not a gentle to be forgotten. The heat of embarrassment had turn into an inferno of determination. 
Harvest moon, A.S. LIII. My heart pounded in my chest as mistress mickel was hot on my heels, without a moment to spare I loosed the arrow that struck down Ulysses S. Grunt. A roar erupted from the crowd. For the first time in 9 years, the horn of Malagentia was released from Haus Wanderstamm.  When you called my name to pass on the horn of Malagentia, the inferno only grew. You knew my name, now I had to cement in. The determination had grown into an insatiable hunger for more. It wasn't enough to shoot a bow, I wanted more. Luckily, you, Master Max have far more then a horn to offer. 
These three moments have been fundamental for me. However, before I propose a simple question I want to highlight 3 traits that you are an exemplar.
You yourself have said you are ferocious with a blade in your hand, but I think a cleaner trait you represent is determination. It is never a question of if you can do something, it is a question of how you do it. After your American fencers have retired for the night you will grab a sword of some other form and continue the fight until you are satisfied. Your art is of an impressive caliber only obtained through feirce determination.
Precision, from the range to yard Billard to the work shop. I have never questioned the precision of your measure. From the yellow ring, to the bolt, to the crossbow. Everything you touch has a magnificent focus for detail. 
Exuberance, I believe everyone has heard a story from Master Max, and I pity anyone who hasn't had the pleasure. Master Max, I have heard many stories from you, I've heard many of them twice. Let me tell you that should you offer I wouldn't hesitate to hear them thrice. Even knowing the plot twist and punchline, the exuberance you have for story telling is what keeps me entertained and would put most bards to shame. The passion with which you speak is what empowers your stories and keeps them thrilling! I can truely hear the roar of the ocean and can see Mistress Camille, legged, fighting along a gangplank while you, Master Max, shoot pirate after pirate. An army of two, with Spartan like energy.
Now, if you're still awake, I would have three more things for you. Three things I seek. Before I ask A simple question with complex implications, you should know this is my desire.
When my determination is waivering, when every thurst meets air, when every cut meets a parry, when every shaft shatters, and wood splinters. I do not need someone to cottle me, I need someone to support me, tell me to get up and do it another hundred times until my determination is just as strong.
I do not need nor want someone to hold my hand during craft time. I need someone to guide my mind.  To help grow, shape, and refine me until my eye is as sharp as an eagle and my hand a scalpel, an instrument of great precision.
Finally, I do not want someone to tell me what to do or where to go. I need somebody that will be the example of great honor, curtesy, and respect. I need good energy to grow into a strong, supporting member of the East Kingdom. To be someone with stories that the young cling to and want to learn from. To share knowledge, skills, and laughter with exuberance.
Master Max, your well rounded presence has been very much appreciated by me and know that I seek much more then a mentor in the strictly the arts and sciences. 

Here is my simple question.
Will you take me as your apprentice? 
For your consideration,
Faílbe Mac Neill.
If you're still reading, you can see I thought about this ALOT.  While I've done a fair amount of writing in academic, professional, poetic, and creative styles. This was my first attempt at Wordsmithing within the SCA. It is a start though! I look forward to doing it more!

Oh yeah, really long story short. How to approach a laurel? walk up to them, smile, and introduce yourself.

For the Crown of the East,
Failbe Mac Neill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You can't destroy the metal

No one can destroy the metal. You can only continue to melt it. I got the opportunity to try my hand at some pewter casting! This post will be scheduled for after the event to maintain the surprise. My friend  Solveig Bjarnardottir  ( Her Blog ) had agreed to do site tokens for Mirmir's Well  in Shire of Mountain Freehold . They needed 80 tokens. Solveig and  AegirBalref  had made a Silicon mold for this token (among many other molds) and I had asked for the experience in casting! As Solveig said, "we're truly practicing creative anachronism. We're blending modern and period techniques for our craft". Solveig spent some time showing me the equipment, safety gear, and how to do the work before I set off. I ended up casting 69 tokens from hundreds of attempts (I figured out the pouring and tweaks by the end...). I really enjoyed learning the process and getting to see the fruits of my labor. Pewter casting is actually pretty easy to get into! Amazon has

Morgan Kendrick, Order of the Silver Tyger.

For This text I really didn't have much to go off, so I consulted with Lord Edmund Beneyt to try and find some reasonable words. My notes were fairly minimal, the fighter didn't have an EKWiki (Please, for all the favor of the gods, make an EKWiki!). I reached out to some locals to him. “At the time was Morgan was inducted into the order of Silver Tyger, he was authorized in Polearm, Great sword, Spear and Weapon and Shield. This last Pennsic,  Morgan, along with his brothers from House Silverkeep held the right flank for the Southern Army on the last day of battle, wreaking havoc on the siege weapons of the Middle. He has been a fighter in the East Kingdom for the many years, first as a Fencer, then as a heavy list fighter. He is squired to Master Ivan Valfrekr.” ~Wulfgar O’ the Woods So basically, long weapons, lots of death, grim reaper. got it. Here is the scroll text.